This Explains It!!!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Hunter at the ER

Friday morning was the last day of school. It was a busy morning, all the kids were trying to get their stuff ready. Each one of them had to have something that I had no idea were to look in the house to find it, and they were really rowdy. I sat down to have my coffee when I heard the crash, then the dreaded scream. Only this time it wasn't the regular suspects. This time it was the little man.......I jumped up ran over and Will came out of the bathroom with Hunter holding his hand out covered in blood. Will started explaining what happened - Chase has a hand mirror that he uses to put his contacts in with, Will was brushing his teeth and Hunter was watching, he dropped the mirror and it broke, he started to clean it up when Hunter grabbed one of the piece's - At the same time Angela was walking by the bathroom and saw Hunter pick up the mirror. She attempted to snatch it out of his hand when he pulled it back informing her that it was "Mine" they played tug a war for only a second and then the blood started. I swooped him up and took him to the sink. Trying to get the bleeding to stop. At first I thought it was his palm, there was so much blood. Then I relized that it was his thumb, the meaty part, you know the part you have a fingerprint on. Papertowel after paper towel I couldn't get it to stop bleeding so after awhile I looked at the kids and said, ok - ER now, get my purse, get a towel and get in the car. I wrapped his hand in a towel, Will sat up front holding him trying to put pressure on it, the girls grabbed my purse and hollered for Chase to get in the car. He wanted to discuss what had happened, I had no time for discussion I don't know how much blood a little guy like Hunter can loose so I told him to catch the bus and make sure he goes to school I was going to the ER, love you - have a good day see you this afternoon. We rush to the hospital which is thankfully only a mile or two away. I'm holding him with a washcloth full of blood, I walk in - "I can't get the bleeding to stop" I say as I walk up to the front desk, she reaches over and gives me another napkin like the one in my hand was a fake or something, I have Will fill out the forms and I sign, we sit down, the front desk lady comes over for yet another signature and I once again hold his hand up and the napkin that she gave me and say "I can't stop the bleeding", she nods and runs behind the doors that only open one way and you have to have a key code to get into. Not a second later a nurse came out to see us, she weighted him got all his information and we were in a room. Man was it quick, normally when you get into a ER room you wait for another 20-30 minutes for the doc to come in, not this time. The doc came in right away and looked at his thumb. "He needs stitches its really deep the doc explained but because its so jagged there is no way we can stitch. So we are going to numb the wound and chut this chunk of skin that is hanging off, if we leave it there it will just get infected and pull on it and hurt him more. Then we are going to be a addhesive peice of tape over the wound, the adhesive will fuss to the blood capilaries and stop the bleeding and then the adhesive will disinegrate into his finger so you won't have to bring him back." What was I to say - no don 't do your job??? I just wanted the bleeding to stop. So he left and said he would be right back and guess what happened? He was back in almost a minute with two other nurses to hold my little guy down and all the dressing and injections he needed. Anyway they gave the lidacain shot directly into the wound which he did not act to thankful for that. Then they wrapped his little hand up, it was still bleeding. We had to wait for it to stop so he got more gauze on it. Finally we can go home. He is exhasued and so I am. Dropped the kids off and went home, my wounded in hand.

1 comment: